Best Bay Area ISP in 2020
Peter Lawrence
2020-08-12 23:18:20 UTC
I currently have Comcast, but their reliability is getting worse by the
month: random 30 minutes to two hours area-wide outages throughout the month
every three to ten days.

So in the Bay Area, which ISP provides not only better service (which should
be easy to exceed) than Comcast but also as high internet speeds as Comcast
(if not higher)?

- Peter
Eli the Bearded
2020-08-12 23:35:34 UTC
Post by Peter Lawrence
So in the Bay Area, which ISP provides not only better service (which should
be easy to exceed) than Comcast but also as high internet speeds as Comcast
(if not higher)?
Are you in a Sonic FTTH area? If so, switch.

Elijah
------
Sonic bonded DSL beat the DSL that the babybell would sell me, too
poldy
2020-08-13 18:49:47 UTC
Post by Eli the Bearded
Post by Peter Lawrence
So in the Bay Area, which ISP provides not only better service (which should
be easy to exceed) than Comcast but also as high internet speeds as Comcast
(if not higher)?
Are you in a Sonic FTTH area? If so, switch.
Elijah
------
Sonic bonded DSL beat the DSL that the babybell would sell me, too
Sonic is slowly expanding their footprint but lets be honest, they're
not ever going to cover a significant percentage, say over 20% of the
homes in the Bay Area.

We're stuck, because AT&T isn't expanding their Giga deployments.

Only hope was maybe home 5G.

Or better yet, state and municipal deployments, though Comcast and the
telecoms have their claws deep into the political leadership of the state.
David Arnstein
2020-08-13 18:58:09 UTC
Post by poldy
Only hope was maybe home 5G.
Or better yet, state and municipal deployments, though Comcast and the
telecoms have their claws deep into the political leadership of the state.
Regarding future developments, there are several organizations developing
constellations of low-orbit satellites for internet service. The idea
seems outlandish, but powerful entities including Elon Musk, Jeff Bezos,
and the Chinese government are involved.

But back to the present. There are outfits that are offering mesh networks
over small dish antennas, right now. In particular, Sail Internet is
operating right on my street. Unfortunately I live in a condominium and
so I am not able to deploy the antenna on my roof.
--
David Arnstein (00)
arnstein+***@pobox.com {{ }}
^^
poldy
2020-08-14 19:24:39 UTC
Post by David Arnstein
Post by poldy
Only hope was maybe home 5G.
Or better yet, state and municipal deployments, though Comcast and the
telecoms have their claws deep into the political leadership of the state.
Regarding future developments, there are several organizations developing
constellations of low-orbit satellites for internet service. The idea
seems outlandish, but powerful entities including Elon Musk, Jeff Bezos,
and the Chinese government are involved.
We will see. YOu have to wonder about latency.

Eli the Bearded
2020-08-13 19:35:56 UTC
Post by poldy
Post by Eli the Bearded
Are you in a Sonic FTTH area? If so, switch.
Sonic is slowly expanding their footprint but lets be honest, they're
not ever going to cover a significant percentage, say over 20% of the
homes in the Bay Area.
My wife's business address is about a five minute walk from where we
live. But it's across Market (SF) and on a street with buried wires
instead of poles, so that means Sonic isn't covering it for fiber.
Sad times. She has a cellphone hotspot device there instead of a wired
connection.
Post by poldy
We're stuck, because AT&T isn't expanding their Giga deployments.
Previous business there, a cleaners, used something AT&T for their
connection. I don't know if it was just phone or what. My wife has no
need for phone, but does need access to email.
Post by poldy
Or better yet, state and municipal deployments, though Comcast and the
telecoms have their claws deep into the political leadership of the state.
I gather Comcast, and the other big cablecos, have cozy local
monopolies in lots of areas. She isn't certain she'll keep the hotspot
method, but avoiding Comcast is a goal. Our home address is also served
by Wave, I don't know about the business address.

Elijah
------
who gets Wave and Comcast mailers seemingly weekly